Final conclusions of my project (Escape Higgs)
This project has been for me a run without stopping, In an organizational chaos that to my surprise we have managed to finish with results that sincerely exceed expectations.
I have to say… in my group there were defined roles but they have not been taken into account at any time by practically no one. This has clearly proved that there is greater involvement of some than others. But this… so that we are going to deceive ourselves… can always happen when working in teams. And I have to keep that in mind always.
Days of research in forums, blogs, internet tutorials and books. Dedication and a lot of error testing were giving little by little form to the game.
What research methods did you use and how did you measure the reaction of your target audience?
At the time of developing the game concept I have never had my audience, for several simple reasons. The first is that I do not like to design for TARGETS AUDIENCE, I design what I like, what motivates me, what inspires me and I do not seek an audience, I seek to convey an experience without objective. And the second is… that I don’t know how to look for a useful audience for my objective.
The truth is that from the beginning I thought of a game accessible to most people. That’s why I thought of a DRAG AND DROP. Oriented to SmartPhones.
What research tools were most effective in developing ideas for the game concept?
The VideoTutorial platforms have been my inspirers and instructors. I have to say that the Tutorials offered by Unity leave a lot to be desired and don’t have much rhythm. Their creators should put it on themselves to see without being able to complete any without despairing or falling asleep…
Every time I needed to create something on Unity I would search the internet and get the information I needed to adapt it to my idea. Then I searched the official Unity Documentation to add more personal details and let’s fly!
On the other hand, In my concept Art-Design I think I have invested too much time in small animations for the game. I really don’t think they’re much use for a prototype either. But I also wanted to learn how to apply them in Unity and how to work with them. So it was also a necessary task that I’m happy with.
My designs are easy and without complications I have not wanted to spend much time in aesthetics, because I do not know what to give yet.
what you have learned during this project?
in this project I learned a lot about C#, A create Patrol Routes for NPC, A make attack Npc. A that Npc launch projectiles towards different positions. Let the Npc follow another Object. To create interaction between objects, Disable Complements in Unity. How to export and work with Sprites.
How to generate a dynamic TileMap… How to use conditionals to change the priority from one action to another. I’ve also learned that the X,Y position of the mouse on the screen is not the same as the X,Y position of an object in the game and that to relate them you have to use a different code.
Thoughts about the task
Our project seemed simple but when I began to develop the mechanics, the movements of the AI, I realized that my knowledge was far from the necessary to create them.
Thanks to another matte who got to run the DRAG AND DROP in the UI made us take a huge jump in the progress of the basic mechanics of the game!
But it didn’t take long to realize that running DRAG AND DROP with the rest of the Sprites in the game was more complicated than expected… Once again…
At one point I felt quite frustrated because in theory I in the group was the only ARTIST (kind off) and I had not devoted enough time to this part for my taste but on the other hand (my part of DEVELOPER), I felt I had to prioritize in the mechanics of the game rather than in the artistic. After I remembered the concept of the uncaved valley. So I saved the art for last if I had time left.
I remembered the concept of the uncaved Valley
On the other hand! The documentation, The papers.. Writing everything… I didn’t do it because I felt I didn’t have time and I had to prioritize! Now I regret it, because I find it very difficult to compile everything.
I feel like I’ve done most of the work in the team, but I’m happy because I’ve learned a lot more. Although on the other hand I would have liked to go further…
I believe that as a conclusion for future projects… Improve team communication. Distribute tasks and roles more effectively (organization) and improve my documentation techniques in the development process.
And the most important thing! Everything is harder than it seems!